Sunday, March 15, 2009

Across the Universe


So I recently saw the movie "Across the Universe." You know, the one where the Beatles were turned into Rodgers and Hammerstein. But I must say, I enjoyed it a lot and Bono's performance was pretty good. Unfortunately, it could have been better. But, I will say that it changed the way I listened to the Beatles for the better. The context of the music to the times that surrounded it, makes much more sense to me now. So, for your viewing pleasure: A clip!



This song gave me chills and shocked me and made tears well up in my eyes. Not sure why. Guess it has something to do with the sudden realization of who she is singing the song to and how we suddenly know why the unrequited love will never be reciprocated. I don't know. Gave me chills though. Hair standing on the back of my head sorta thing. Too bad the rest of the movie isn't as effective. The strawberries did make me want to paint, though...

3 comments:

Gnome 1 said...

Okay, would you recommend this movie to someone who's not particularly fond of the Beatles or Bono (me)?

Oxidizedmetal said...

I would recommend it because it is a sight to see. It starts out good and, like a bad acid trip, starts getting odd and downright confusing. Bono's part doesn't last too long and is over before you know it. At least you can tell everyone you saw it.

Bitter, Party of One said...

Perhaps I will get it tonight, as I'm preparing to visit Blockbuster in a few minutes. As a former acid enthusiast, I can appreciate a trippy movie, even if the story is kinda weak (I watched The Tripper, after all).

~JP