Thursday, May 7, 2009

Winky Guard



This is one of my more recent paintings. I wanted to do a painting representing "Water in the Desert." While I was searching for inspiration, a coworker showed me some youtube videos of American soldiers fighting in Iraq. The video that caught my attention was of a man who was sitting in a tank discussing his thoughts on his time in Iraq. The details are blurred to me now, but I remember him mentioning how many people he has had to kill and things had to do. And then someone asks how old he is. He was only 18.

Looking back at my life, I realize how pampered and lackadaisical I was at that age. What was my biggest concern? Going off to college? Where the next party was?

Then I found a picture on Yahoo titled, "water in the desert." Synchronicity or inspiration.

When that picture was taken, there was a major push to find images of American soldiers as saviors and liberators.
An offered glass of water.
But there are also handcuffs and guns.

So there was my take on things... Ozified of course.




Winkie Guard Uniform:






















Water in the Desert:

No comments: